Posted May 1, 2022
HelpGood seeks a purpose-driven and experienced full-stack WordPress web developer with great front-end and back-end skills to help us create websites that help our clients make the world a better place. Full-time and local to Los Angeles, work from home with some in-person meetings, complying to COVID-19 guidelines.
Open to someone who can fill the role of Technical Director — managing internal team members, leading client projects from a tech perspective, and external vendors — while also still getting hands dirty with actual development work.
We’re looking for a creative, flexible thinker who has a proven track record of success leading web development projects that demand a high degree of creative and technical complexity. You have a blend of technical chops and people skills — you can think big picture and decide on the optimal tech architecture and also be heads down and code, and you can help guide our design, marketing and project management team members to best fulfill on the needs of our client site projects. This position will take a lead role on multiple client engagements so you will need to be detail focused and effective at project management to stay on track.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Build/engineer websites and web applications (mostly on WordPress and Drupal) that are usable, efficient, secure and performance-optimized. Debug and iterate on quality until to spec and the sites work flawlessly across devices, browsers and screen sizes.
- Maintain client sites, install, test, and debug plugins, integrations, and create custom plugins as needed.
- Install marketing related tags, code, integrations, CRM, fundraising platforms, forms and automations.
- Partner with clients to help lead and manage their technical projects, communicating with them directly to develop and execute on their web development needs.
- Collaborate with our internal team and freelancers across UI, UX, design, marketing and analytics to execute on client web development projects.
- We are often called upon to work with third party integrations with Salesforce, MailChimp, Constant Contact, Salsa Labs, Blackbaud, Network for Good, Give Lively, Classy, Pardot, Hubspot, and Stripe.
- Bachelors and/or Masters degree in computer science.
- At least 5 years of web development experience and at least 3 years of full-stack WordPress and/or Drupal development.
- Deep expertise and significant experience in:
- PHP software development best practices and object-oriented programming.
- Creating cross-browser/cross-platform responsive websites.
- Custom theme development and plugin development.
- Development workflows, git, deployment.
- Content migrations from existing websites.
- Integrating with common 3rd-party CRM, email marketing, and payment platforms.
- Design systems using component libraries and reusable front-end patterns.
- Accessibility such as WCAG compliance requirements.
- Infrastructure, system administration & DevOps and familiarity with hosting solutions like AWS and with CDNs like Cloudflare.
- Professional maturity is a must as is the ability to communicate through written and verbal means both in casual settings and in formal presentations.
- Experience with digital collaboration tools like G Suite and Basecamp.
- Friendly and engaging style and demeanor, with strong motivation and professionalism.
- Strong interest in social issues.
- You must be able to work in the United States.
- $80-$100,000 per year.
- Partially subsidized Health, Dental and Vision options.
- Voluntary Disability Insurance options.
- Company-Sponsored $10,000 Term Life & Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance.
- Health Advocate membership that provides unlimited, confidential access to a dedicated consultant to help you resolve healthcare and insurance-related issues.
- 401K plan with 3% non-elective Company contribution after 90 days of service.
- Discretionary performance-based bonuses.
- 2 weeks paid vacation (that increases with longer retention, up to 15 maximum).
- 11 paid holidays per year. Additional vacation/flex-time between Christmas & New Year’s.
- 6 paid personal/sick days.
- Flexible work schedules.
- Annual $500 professional development stipend.
- Monthly $100 tech/communications stipend.
- $15/month in ClassPass fitness contribution.
- New client bonus (2.5% of any non-inbound client during the first year we work with them).
- Dog-friendly office in LA close to the Grove and Farmers Market.
- Satisfaction knowing that your work is helping make the world a better place.
HelpGood is a full-service marketing and communications agency focused on advancing social good. As a certified B Corp, we help nonprofits, foundations and purpose-driven organizations make a lasting social impact. HelpGood’s offices are in Los Angeles and NYC.
We’ve worked with leading organizations across a variety of social causes and campaigns including animal welfare, diversity and inclusion, the environment, education, human rights, physical and mental health, social justice, and women’s rights. Our clients include leading local and national nonprofits, foundations, government agencies, philanthropists and corporate social responsibility teams like the Ad Council, United Way, Planned Parenthood, data.org, DisabilityIN, NYU, Valor, Housing Works, Animal League America, and the longest-running public service campaign in history, Smokey Bear.
Our marketing and communications work includes crafting campaigns, amplifying messages, creating awareness, inspiring action and cultivating sustainable movements that create social impact at scale.
Our Commitment To Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
HelpGood believes that we produce better outcomes when there is a diversity of voices, people and experiences involved in doing the work. We hope you share those values and would help to continually cultivate your curiosity in the world and in others both at work and outside of work as most of our work is focused on creating a more equitable, inclusive and safe world for all. We are certified as a Disabled Owned Business Enterprise and as an LGBT Business Enterprise.