The social voice and real-time response for the longest-running PSA campaign in U.S. history
Smokey Bear is a beloved American icon. While most brands might hibernate after 75 years, Smokey’s needed now more than ever. More Americans are moving closer to the wildland urban interface. Climate change is increasing the intensity, size and number of wildfires.With nearly 9 out of 10 wildfires caused by humans, the U.S. Forest Service, National Association of State Foresters and the Ad Council challenged HelpGood to help Smokey inspire a new generation of Americans to act more responsibly with fire. Turns out, they kept asking us to help. We’ve worked with Smokey for over 10 years and counting. Talk about a bear of a client!
For over a decade HelpGood has been the voice of Smokey Bear online, providing social media strategy, content production and community management for the campaign.
- Built his presence on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, and even LinkedIn to make him a true social media influencer.
- Partnerships with celebrities like Betty White and Dolly Parton, corporations like Nintendo and Progressive, NGOs and influencers.
- Real-time marketing to work with YouTube stars, TikTok-kers, Snapchatters, mommy bloggers and illustrators.
- Appearances at hundreds of state fairs, livestream from SXSW, float in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, and travel to the International Space Station with NASA.
- Created moments that went viral, multiple times, generating tens of millions of free earned media impressions across social and traditional media.
- While a lot of it has been fun, we’ve also helped Smokey handle critical public safety issues, from pandemics to the tragic Prescott fire to devastating natural disasters and other crises.
We Helped With
Over the past decade we have achieved:
- Reach. 300,000,000+ media impressions. Nearly 10 million website visits a year. Hundreds of thousands of active social media fans. 7,000+ pledges to prevent wildfires.
- Puns. We’ve heard and used every single bear themed pun.
- Honors. He’s on the Advertising Walk of Fame, he rang the opening bell at NASDAQ, he’s been turned into an emoji.
- Awards. Multiple Webby, Shorty, and Telly Awards. And, we even won a Gold Smokey Bear Award, the US Forest Service’s highest honor, for our work on the campaign.
- Hugs. 5,276,437 Smokey Bear hugs. Yes, we counted every single one.